Wonderpreneur Logo & Brand Design

My first logo design! My client was inspired by Wonder Woman, and needed a logo that embodied strength and power. I designed these logos for my client’s Wonderpreneur Facebook community. I was really excited to work on this project because I used to do a bit of graphic design a few years ago. As a fellow fan of the super hero, I was interested to see how I could incorporate Wonder Woman into a logo.

 

Introduction

Before starting this project, I sent my client a questionnaire to fill out, which gives me more information about my clients, their businesses, ideas, goals, etc. After receiving her answers, I quickly realized she wasn’t sure about some things. She had the tones she wanted her community to exude (silly, fun, quirky, whimsical, down-to-earth), but they were much different from the Wonder Woman character. I decided it was necessary to create a mood board, giving us a visual foundation for her community and ensuring we were on the same page. I encouraged her to fill the board with images that inspired her and reflected the tone, style, and color scheme of her community. When she shared her completed board with me, it appeared she had two very different directions she wanted to take her brand: whimsical and fun vs. strong and powerful.

 

Below are the 2 boards I compiled in GIMP

Colorful blocks of images. It's fun w/ a dash of comic art.
Whimsical
Image blocks of red, blue, and yellow.
Strong and powerful

To get a clearer picture of both directions, I used GIMP to organize the best and more fitting images into two separate, cohesive boards (see above). Once I completed the boards, I shared them with her and included my notes on why there were two and their themes/patterns. She picked the board that was less Wonder Woman (the first one) and more whimsical, for fear of being too cheesy.

Finally time for logo creation!

Planning & Designing

Logo Design process I followed:

Step 1: Sketch like crazy. 

Step 2: Re-create black/white versions of best ideas using Inkscape (my first time using it).

Step 3: Edit like crazy.

Step 4: Add color.

Step 5: Arrange them into a guide (added after the first round of sketches).

During the Recreation phase, I took the typefaces that came with my computer and manipulate them so that they looked like my sketches. At the end of that process, I came up with four different designs (took me about three days to complete them):

Below is a copy of the notes I sent to my client:

Bubble – I wanted to give a little comic book feel by imitating the block letters usually used in comics. The crown is designed to look like Wonder Woman’s crown.
Mixed – I put the bubble font together with a more modern font to break up the bubble-ness a little. I used the “Wonder” section of the bubble font because Wonder Woman is from a comic. The line underneath is Wonder Woman’s lasso. (If you choose this option or the pop option, I will make the “lasso” look more like a lasso).
Modern – I wanted to give you a more subtle font with just a hint of Wonder Woman (the crown).
Pop – The “W” is imitating pop art, paired with a modern “Wonderpreneur”. The circle around the “W” and “Wonderpreneur” is Wonder Woman’s lasso. A bright and fun design.

Obstacle 1

Unfortunately, she didn’t like any of them. After seeing the Wonder Woman movie, she was inspired and really wanted to see and feel Wonder Woman in her logo. Now that she had a better idea of what she wanted, I asked her to fill out the questionnaire again. Along with her second answers, she sent me a color scheme (red, blue, and gold) and logo examples that she liked. I also used the first mood board to guide me through the next batch of logos.

Obstacle 2

 

The biggest question running through my head: “How can I incorporate the color scheme and Wonder Woman’s strength into this logo, while keeping it professional looking?” The examples she sent me had a common theme: the use of negative space. I played around with using negative space within the “W.” I used different shapes that are symbolic of Wonder Woman: her tiara, sword, or star. My client wanted her logo to exude strength and power. Usually bold gives off a feeling of strength, but I was worried the bulkiness wouldn’t appeal to her target audience: women. I also played around with the shape of the “W” letter. I tried manipulating it so that it resembled Wonder Woman’s tiara in the latest movie.

Final Logo Design

After working on the logos for about six days, I sent my client a new set of drafts. This time, I may have went a little overboard with the options. To make sure she understood what each logo was for, I rearranged them into more readable sets, including explanations of each option.

My client felt much better about these designs, and chose pieces from each layout to create the look she wanted. I took the revisions she provided, went back to Inkscape, and then fixed any issues with sizing, layer, color, etc. To give my client more control over using her logos, I made sure to send the finalized copies in various forms and files: transparent copies, black/white copies, color copies, .png, and .svg.

What I’ve Learned/Plan to Learn

After this project, I went straight to Lynda.com and started learning more about graphic and brand design. I also plan to tackle typography because there’s so much more to typography than I thought.  I need to learn more about the structure of letters, how to properly sketch out designs, and using the correct measurements. I also want to test out what else I can do with Inkscape. It’s a bit different from GIMP, which I’m super used to.

I had a lot of fun with this project. I’ve always enjoyed graphic design, but it had been a while (probably a few years) since the last time I got to use my right brain and really create something. I would love to do more logo and brand development in the future.